Monday, December 6, 2010

The Power of a Child's Words

We were sitting at the dinner table one night, and the TV was playing in the adjoining room. I am not sure what was on TV before that the kids were watching, but at the time it was the show “Hoarders”. Have you seen it? It is heartbreakingly awful!! There is just no other way to describe it!!

Ok, my point is, this lady was sitting there telling all of God’s creation that she just can not stop shopping. It has gotten to the point that her and her husband can not sleep in there room, heck they can barely walk to it, let alone in it. They were sleeping in recliners, literally the only spot in the house you could see a smidgen of the floor, and any resemblance of furniture was there in the living room where they would retire in the evening.

It is unfathomable to me that people can live in those conditions, however, this lady seemed to want to change, and in fact she expressed it. “I have tried everything, I just don’t know what to do,” and then he said it, “All she has to do is pray, and Jesus will change her heart, her mind and her habits.” Out of the mouth of my sweet eight year old boy was such wisdom and compassion.
As I turned and looked to his face, the expression was priceless; he sat there staring at the TV wondering why this lady hadn’t thought of something so simple and profound at the same time. I fully understand we do not know everything about these families being shown on TV, and that in all honesty the show probably depicts only the worst of the worst that happens the whole time they are taping, but that night, I sat there and knew that at least in AJ’s mind all he ever needs to do is pray.

None of that may seem like any big feat for people out there, but knowing all the struggles and constant changes we are going through in our family, it is so heart warming to know that my child sets his eyes on the Lord to guide him and help him. As a parent doing my best to raise children with strong, true, and not condemning Christian beliefs and values, all I need to see or hear are little moments like that. To know that they are “getting it” They do understand with in their capabilities as young children, the importance we have instilled in them to have a strong, ongoing, and growing relationship with the Lord.

3 comments:

Ami said...

Wish there was a "like" option like on facebook, because I love this post. :)

JD said...

Ditto Ami -- love this post. Great job raising this child, mamma!!

What a beautiful example of "and a child shall lead them..."

Cat said...

Wow! This gave me chill bumps. So incredible. I would be one sappy and proud mamm! :)