Friday, February 19, 2010

It Gets Better

We were in the grocery store and Jenna was sitting in the back part of the shopping cart where the food goes. Anytime I put something in the cart, she would drop it out a few seconds later. She does not want any of it touching her. So one by one, our groceries were hitting the floor. I find it a bit comical for her to be so persistent at such a young age.

However a nice older lady near by looked at me and said "Don't worry, it gets better" I laughed and continued walking through the aisle to find what we needed. As I walked away, I wondered, did I look worried? Did I look irritated? Did I say something that would instigate the woman's comment? No. No. and No. Hmmm.

There I was actually enjoying Jenna's little games, and this lady must have thought I needed some encouragement of some sort. You see, I didn't see that situation as one where I needed to think "It gets better". It left me wondering what she thought was so bad that it needed to get better?

Maybe it was not so much her words as it was her tone, one that silently spoke "These are rebellious people, deceitful children, children unwilling to listen to the Lord's instruction."(Isaiah 30:9) But you see, that was not what I was seeing, it is not how I was feeling. And by her words I felt attacked, reprimanded, and criticized.

How do I let such little things tear me down? Why do I let the words of others fall so hard on my heart and my mind? "The LORD redeems his servants; no one will be condemned who takes refuge in him." (Psalm 34:22)

It is a struggle to seek Him in those times when you feel like you have failed, when you feel like there is no way to fix the problem. This for me is a never ending endeavour, I can not fix things, I can not alone make it better. Only through Him "It gets better".

1 comments:

Deb in MD said...

It is interesting that she assumed it bothered you. I think it's great that you actually enjoyed the "game" and not acting like a mom out of control like a lot of moms I see out there.