Thursday, December 24, 2009

An Early Christmas Present


I’ve whined all month long about not having the money to buy the gifts I wanted to buy for everyone this year. I love finding the perfect gift for each person on my list. Due to the economic situation the country is in; and the lack of wage increase at work, along with cut backs at Jesse’s work and rising food/gas prices, the perfect gift is not an option. We do have a little something for all the kids (thanks to some early shopping on my part, along with some great deals that I found). They will be happy with what they get, I am sure of that!!

Every year our office “adopts” three families to help out around the Holidays. This year it was suggested that we nominate people that we know versus the normal route of “adopting” through a local church.

I thought of a family who lives in my neighborhood. A man, a woman, three kids; a story that broke my heart the minute I was told. This man had been laid-off in March, his wife due with their fourth child in October. They have a 19 year old daughter in a relationship with an older man her parents did not approve of, a 12 year old daughter, and a 14 year old daughter. Mid way through October, the wife goes into labor, delivers a boy – they were hoping for a boy! Eighteen short hours later, the wife/mother passes away. She was able to see her son, and hold him for a few minutes. That was all he would ever know of his mom. She left behind her two young daughters who probably need her guidance now in their lives then ever before, and her older daughter as well. A son who will never know what it feels like to be hugged and cuddled by his mom, and a husband who will not have his wife by his side as his children graduate from school, get married, and have children of their own. I submitted their information to our office in hopes that we may be able to offer them some glimmer of hope this Holiday Season. They were one of the families chosen; I could not believe the outpour of love being shown by my co-workers.

A couple of days ago I was asked if I could deliver the gifts to one of our office Christmas Families. I kindly accepted, not know what I was getting myself into.

This is what the front stoop looked like as we rang the door bell.


This is the father as he opened the door.

This is the family that blessed me this Season far more than they will ever know.

I have realized so many things from this, do not attempt any acts of kindness of this magnitude without tissue in your pocket, I am probably much better at charity behind the scenes, I was a blubbering mess as I was loading the stoop with all of the gifts!! The amount that we are able to give to our loved ones may not seem like a lot, but spending the time with them, tucking my kids into bed on Christmas Eve, waking with them on Christmas morning, watching my kids grow is the greatest gift I could ever be given. Seeing this family accept their gifts is a very close second.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Megan--God Bless you! Have a Merry Christmas to you and yours!

JD said...

It is in giving blessings that we, in return, receive blessings beyond measure...

Thank you for being a part of the church of Jesus shining into this family's life. May they seek the spirit in which you gave, and bless others someday when able to.

We sponsor a family from the local battered women/children's shelter each Christmas, and it is definitely a five Kleenex moment.

(((((((((((( hugs )))))))))))))

Erin Lutz said...

Megan, What a wonderful Christmas story. Merry Christmas to you and your family. PS- check my blog!!!

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for reminding us of the joy of the season.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Megan!

MY LIFE WITH BOYS! said...

That was awesome! I just love to hear stories like this. What a tragedy for this family though. You just have to be greatful to have eachother. The gifts just don't matter in the long run. What a great life lesson. Thanks!