Monday, August 3, 2009

Little Girl Birthday Parties...

We were invited to a birthday party for a neighbor/friend's granddaughter this weekend. Our boys are friends with the birthday girl's uncle - he is only 8. So Saturday, after buying ALL of the boys school supplies, I headed out to buy the little one a present. I made a few calls to get a couple of ideas for her (I think boys are WAY easier to shop and buy for). The consensus was Hannah Montana - like I really needed to post that link. My point is the little girl just turned 4.

We arrived to the party and she was dressed just like Hannah - we are talking black leggings that zipped up the sides, a small tank top with a vest over it, she was covered in spray on glitter (that she insisted be reapplied every hour or so), and definitely had more make-up than I did seeing as I had forgotten that step in my mad dash out the door to beat any other early-bird shoppers!! I do not have a picture, and I'm not entirely sure that I would post it if I did.

This little girl changed outfits three times during her party, and the last outfit was a strapless, to the floor, slinky dress she wore as she performed a mini Hannah concert. There was an anatomically correct pinata - if you know what I mean. I know that times are changing and that there is a huge difference in how children are being raised and what they are exposed to, but this was unreal!!! I can not imagine letting Jenna walk around with make-up and decked out as if she were going to a tiny-tot club at the age of 4.

I am all for girly-girl parties, and dressing Jenna up, don't get me wrong. I just think there is a way to do all that and be age appropriate. It is not that I even think Hannah is bad - I have watched the show with the boys, it is cute, and some of my good friends with older daughters (8-12) have been to the concerts and deal with all the Hannah paraphernalia. I just don't understand why society as a whole is pushing for little girls to grow up so fast.

I am sure I could go on for ever about this topic, but for now, in the words of Billy Dean "Let Them Be Little"

1 comments:

amy said...

WOW. I'm with you, Megan. Make up and strapless dresses are a bit over the top-- I'm thinking more like onsies and tutus for the girls first birthday party- a small party with the fam. It is a different world today... and that is why I fervently pray over my daughters daily! :)