Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's all Greek to me, or is it?

I walk into my office and there is a bag sitting on my desk, a gift bag. As I try to figure out where it came from, I decide to see what is inside. Inside this bag is a creature my family is all too familiar with. Pan – the half goat, half boy, the mythological creature, the Greek God of Fertility. I sat here trying to figure out how my sister got it into my office.

Let me first start with this, my parents had me and my sister two years apart from each other. Years later, like 13 years later, my mom found out she was pregnant with my brother Joe, and on Joe’s first birthday, she found out about Jacob. Mom had this statue of pan sitting in her room as a decoration, until someone told her that creature was the god of fertility.

Fast forward several years, mom is trying to remove this creature from her home, I meet a wonderful friend at my then new job. This friend was just about to get married, and was very excited to start a new family. After several months of trying with no success, my friend was beginning to feel discouraged. We talk about my parents “luck” and I give her the creature. Ya’ll this was like three years ago!!

After a few attempt to reach my sister or my mom, to see if either of them were the culprit, I phone my friend (who was actually sitting right down the hall from me).
I asked, “Hey, there is a bag sitting on my desk, do you know where it came from?” She answered, “yes.” I asked, “Are you trying to tell me something?” (Hoping deep down the answer was yes) Her answer was “no.” And then she followed that reply with one of the most humbling statements I have heard in sometime, “We just figured our faith was displaced.” And with that I hung up my phone, sat at my desk and held back tears.

How often do we take for granted everything we have been given, how quickly are we to turn to alternative methods for attaining our hopes and dreams when we feel like God is not answering fast enough? Why is it we are quick to get on our knees when all is wrong and we need His guidance, but we are slow to bow at His feet and thank Him for all He has given us?

Last summer I read the No Other God’s Bible Study with some very remarkable women, at the time there were certainly many other idols that were affecting all of our lives, however, I had completely forgotten about this little creature-idol. That is until today. I have a new found inspiration to go through the NOG Bible Study again, with new perspectives, with new experiences, in a different part of my life than I was then.

How many times can that humbling phrase describe where we are in our walk? “My faith has been displaced.” Please say an extra prayer for my friend and her husband as they continue to search for what God has planned for their family and their future together. I know I will be praying for them, right after I give Him the glory for all He has done in my life this past year.

2 comments:

megan said...

Very true and so well written.
Megan

Wade's World said...

I'm coming via BlogHer and for someone herself who struggled with fertility issues, I know how she feels.

I'll be praying for your friend and the plans God has for her.